Friday, December 29, 2006

Over My Shoulder

This past week I went back over the year that was 2006.Here are my personal highlights (in no particular order):

· Retreat in January at Kananaskis
· Two separate visits with Pernell, Margie & the fam. My second trip in October was especially great as I had the opportunity of spending two overnights with them. Thanks guys - you made it an extra good-year (sure you haven't heard that before)!
· Several trips to Banff - I love that place. I saw Eddie Shack there a couple of year's ago.
· Two Hitmen games with my boyz.
· Watching Joel play his first hockey tournament in Edmonton during March break. We also made a trip to West Edmonton Mall that weekend to Galaxyland.
· Superbowl XL at Joey's with my other boyz.
· Taste of Chaos with As I Lay Dying stealing the show - good times w/Berkley.
· Watching Jacob at his first drum recital as he pounded the skins while his teacher plucked Seven Nation Army out on the bass.
· Getting to see my little ballerina in her big show debut.
· My buddy Phil & his girlfriend Ashley came to visit us - great to meet her & spend time together.
· Buying a tent trailer - wow, best purchase we ever made as a family! We created some great memories last summer - Kananaskis country, Radium, McLean Creek, Drumheller & Red Deer Lodge! I can't wait for this summer together around the campfire!
· Mom Burton's visit in the summer - we took her camping with us & the kids had a blast.
· Transforming Julia's bedroom from a dark dingy green to a bright pink blow deserving a princess.
· Our garage sale - stressful & sunburned yet worth the cash and getting rid of the clutter.
· Turkey Bowl 2006 - bigger crowd, fans & takin' a lickin' yet still tickin'!
· Calgary Tattoo Show & getting to catch up with Peel - I haven't had ink in two years simply because Peel's the man & I'm too far away - hurry up and come out west buddy!
· Breakfast with Rudy Carrasco a la Dave King. Of course breakfast was good with Dave too - thanks for the invite Dave!
· Going to see Of Mice & Men with my main squeeze for a little 'us' time.
· Two Flames games in four days over the Christmas break! First as a gift from my father-in-law to me (Canucks) and then as a gift to my father-in-law from me and my boyz (Kings).
· Underoath at Mac Hall & dinner with Bill of Silverstein - good times with Berkley & Graham, thanks boyz!
· Finally getting the opportunity to volunteer at the Y.
· Viewing 2.5 million lights at the Zoolights with my fam!
· Revisiting one of the gods of glam with Berkley & Graham (these guys are my concert buddies) - Bret Michaels! I was a huge Poison fan back in the day & this guy still has it.
· A Christmas Carol with my fam! What a great show! The theatre at Christmas time has become something of a tradition for us as a family.
· Mom Wiseman's visit while we went to Retreat last January. My kids are excited for her arrival this week.
· Christmas with my Father-in-law Gary & his wife Susan. It was somewhat of an extended family Christmas as Sue's daughter & her family live here in Calgary as well as Sue's son Adam came from Halifax to be here for holidays. We went on a sleigh ride together that was great fun!
· Countless coffees & conversations with friends.

I love movies, again in no particular order, here are my favs of 2006:
· Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
· Cars
· Superman Returns
· Happy Feet
· Click
· You, Me & Dupree
· Barnyard
· Flushed Away
· The Shaggy Dog
· 16 Blocks
· The Holiday
· The Ant Bully
· Lucky Number Slevin
· Rocky Balboa

Worst movie that I saw in 2006:
· Lady in the Water
This flick absolutely sucked. Mr. M. Night is a one hit wonder. Sixth Sense was brilliant & his problem is that everything he dreams up will always live in it's shadow. Good night M. Night it's curtains for you.

I love music, here are my top CDs in no particular order:
· Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
· Flyleaf
· John Mayer - Continuum
· P.O.D. - Testify
· Evanescence - The Open Door

Lowlights of 2006:
· Vince Neil in concert. I was once again visiting my glory days of glam. I went to see him in all his embarrassing glory. As he was sooooo drunk leaning over the stage for a high five with someone in the crowd, his marshmallowed carcass landed on some unsuspecting fan. The guy couldn't remember the words to his own songs, he tried to play a guitar solo and couldn't find the on switch, and on top of all that, the music had to be cranked to drown out what was once a good set of pipes. Time to hang it up bud.
· I got a parking ticket & I was innocent, innocent I tell ya.
Seriously, doing this has allowed me to see what a great & full year I've had & hey, I'm still alive.This year I have one goal: Knowing God more personally. Not knowing about God, not in a theological way but in a personal experience kind of way. I'll hash that out more in the year. I believe if I succeed on this goal it will impact every facet of my life.

It's early but in case I'm not chattin' with you - Happy New Year!

No comments: