Sunday, March 23, 2008

Redemption

There is hope.

I know I'm a better parent than my parents were to me. My saying that is not disrespectful arrogance. I expect my kids to take the parenting they've received from me and be a better parent than I was to them. Take the helpful while leaving the not so helpful.

Beating a child is never acceptable. I don't care if that is how you were parented; I don't care if that's all you know from your experience as a child; I don't care if that was the generation you came from (and you use the excuse that it was more acceptable). It's not acceptable in any generation, in any culture, in any situation to beat a child.

Someone has to be man or woman enough to say, regardless of how I was parented, how my child acts, or what my experience has been or whether or not my generation/culture deems it acceptable - it is not acceptable to me & I will not abuse my child(ren) in that way.

Be man or woman enough to end the violence!

No comments: