Saturday, June 14, 2008

Full of life

I know I've said it before yet I'll say it again, life is full, good & full.

- Joel was selected to take part in a hockey school in July at no cost to us! It's a Calgary Flames camp & he'll be spending a couple of hours at the Saddledome on tour of the Flames dressing room, etc. He's pretty stoked as are we for him!

- Julia lost her two front baby teeth. I'm watching her grow up before my very eyes and it both excites me and scares the heck out of me. In some ways I want her to continue to be my little girl forever.

- Jake & I have had some great talks as of late. These are cherished moments. One night he was asking me about drugs because a kid on his soccer team (while they were both on the sidelines together) asked him if he knew what getting high meant. Another time, during a drive we were taking together, he was telling me how left out he sometimes feels because kids have seen movies that he hasn't. Austin Powers was the movie in question and he wanted to know why he hasn't seen it yet.

Parenting is such a huge responsibility. I love it and don't love it (hate is too strong a word to use coz I wouldn't take it that far). It's not about my kids - I love them, there is no question. I'm more concerned with messing up and messing them up. I'm concerned with them rebelling against me and not wanting to speak to me when they get older. I'm concerned with them leaving our family to begin their own and not needing me anymore.

God has given them to us in trust for a time. That's hard. I know it and I will deal with letting go when that time comes. For now, every moment is precious as I get to be a part of their growing up.

2 comments:

Family Of Five said...

Awwwww.... that totally brough a tear to my eye, because I have those very same thoughts and fears!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya there bro. You're doing a great job though.