Saturday, June 07, 2008

Hope of a Better Past

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That's why they call it 'the present.'"

Great "fortune cookie" type line from Kung Fu Panda. The kids got out early from school yesterday so we took them to see it (we're all big fans of Jack Black - he's the man!)!

Loved the movie!

That line stood out for me because it holds a lot of truth for me in this period of my life.

My spiritual director told me some months ago that his impression of me (as he was listening to me speak) was that I seem to be stewing over past regrets, consumed with future fears and missing out on the present moment.

Six weeks ago I went to a weekend 'personal growth' workshop in the city of champions. That weekend another similar statement hit home "I finally gave up hope of having a better past."

The present moment truly is a gift. I'm not saying don't learn from the past and don't prepare for the future but when they both consume (like they sometimes do with me) the moment passes and I've missed out.

I'm still learning...

No comments: