Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sexual Trafficking

Human Sexual Trafficking is a form of slavery.

Marta’s Story

My name is Marta. I am 17 years old. My dream is to be a Hollywood actress and to live in a mansion. Back home, I saved up money to take an acting class in the city. In the class, a friend showed me an advertisement for a modeling job overseas. He said he had some connections and could get me in. He also said the money was great, and that his cousin got a TV commercial through this job that year. I was so happy. I got my passport and my friend held on to it and organized all of my visa paperwork. It was my first time on a plane. I watched a movie and pictured myself in it. My dreams were coming true.

When we landed, I was tired and confused. We went to a hotel and I was locked in. Two hours later a stranger came in and told me the new arrangements. I would be a nude dancer at this man’s club. Initially I stood up for myself but then I was beaten and he burned me with his cigarette. He showed me a paper with my family’s name and address written on it and threatened that he would kill them if I did not cooperate. I am helpless.


Trafficking in Canada
The R.C.M.P. estimates that 800 foreign women are bought into the Canadian sex trade each year by human traffickers. Another 2,200 newcomers to Canada are smuggled into the United States from Canada for work in brothels, sweatshops, domestic jobs and construction work. It is widely believed that only 1 in 10 victims in trafficking report to the police, so the numbers are likely much larger.

Somebody tell me how I can do something about this...

2 comments:

wcs53 said...

Hey Steve,

I don't know if you read Relevant or not, but the latest issue has a great article on this subject with Steven Christian of Anberlin and also has some links to sites such as IJM.org and FacelessInternational.com

This whole issue is really the scourge of our society. It just blows my mind that this stuff still goes on today in our so-called advanced and civilized world.

Steve said...

Hey William, I don't read Relevant but it sounds like an issue worth checking out. Thanks for the links too!