Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Shedding

I've been thinking about shedding lately.

Maybe it's because my black coat has a bunch of white hair from my black cat on it (go figure).

Or maybe the thought combo of Bruxy Cavey & Jim Palmer lines is floating around in my head. Mix that with my own thoughts and you have a triple shot of espresso in a short cup (no water).

Or maybe it has more to do with Robert Frost's line "You live by shedding."

To purge or not to purge?

I was asked recently what I thought of purging and/or purging services (sorry Pam, I realize I didn't get back to you on that - oops! - and this probably isn't what you're looking for).

"You live by shedding." Truly live, like abundant life living, as Jesus puts it?

Quite possibly if the shedding is about purging one's system of useless and binding systems, beliefs & rituals.

To purge or not to purge religion?
To purge or not to purge church (as systematic & constructed (constricting!))?
To purge or not to purge useless history?
To purge or not to purge this post!?!

Here's a thought I'm sharing with the guys tonight:

"Our history is not our destiny." There is freedom in that statement. Sure, our history can inform us but it doesn't need to handcuff us.

I'm aspiring to be someone more than who I presently am. I don't have it all together so I keep purging the crap. As Paul said, "forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead."

Jesus is calling me toward a heavenly prize that is a life free of the gunk.

No comments: